Apr 10, 2012

Mushroom Marinara Sauce


Spaghetti is one of those super easy meals that makes a frequent appearance at our house. For two reasons- it is an inexpensive meal and it is quick and easy to throw together! Seriously, I can have a good dinner ready in under 30 minutes! I am not talking open up a can of spaghetti sauce, I am talking- yummy homemade spaghetti sauce! It has seemed like life is so crazy lately, and a few nights out of the week we are getting home late and need some quick easy meals to be able to throw together.

I have been searching for the perfect marinara sauce recipe for quite some time. I have tried a lot of different recipes that have been ok, but none that have wowed me. I have tried a few different combinations and thrown in a few different things in my attempt to make a great marinara sauce. I am really picky when it comes to spaghetti. I'm not a big fan of store bought spaghetti sauce. And I hate it when the noodles are overdone. Seriously, it is amazing how much of a difference it makes when you have a great sauce and perfectly "al dente" noodles!

The other night I think that I finally came up with a winning combination! I threw in some mushrooms and I think that made all the difference! This comes together so fast and tastes wonderful! It would be perfection topped with a few Italian meatballs!

Mushroom Marinara


3 Tablespoons EVOO
4 Tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, diced (or 2 small onions)
3 teaspoons garlic
1- 8 ounce container mushrooms, sliced
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
1- 6 ounce can tomato paste
1- 15 ounce can tomato sauce
1/8 cup beef broth
1/2 teaspoon Better Than Bouillon Chicken Flavor
1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
salt
pepper
crushed red pepper

In a large sauce pan heat EVOO and butter over medium heat. Saute onions and garlic. Cook about 2 minutes then add in the mushrooms. After the mushrooms are sauteed to perfection, turn off heat and stir in Parmesan cheese.

In a blender, combine diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Blend. I don't puree mine completely, I like it a little chunky. Then add tomatoes to mushroom/cheese mixture and heat over medium heat. Add tomato sauce, beef broth, chicken bouillon, balsamic vinegar, and brown sugar. Add salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper to taste. {Depending on how much heat you want depends on how much crushed red pepper to add. I usually shake a few shakes in.} Simmer for 15- 30 minutest. Serve!

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment